Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Goodbye Dr Gates...


I got an email in my inbox this morning that made me very sad. Dr. Robert Gates is leaving his position as President of Texas A&M University. I love Dr. Gates. Although he did not graduate from A&M, he is a true Aggie. There is a saying among Aggies, "From the outside looking in, you can't understand it; From the inside looking out, you can't explain it." Dr. Gates has managed, in four years, to do what millions do not accomplish in a lifetime. He came as an outsider and got it. He is a true Aggie. It hurts my heart to think of A&M without Dr. Gates. I realize that he is leaving to serve our country, but a part of me wants to be selfish and keep him right here in Aggieland. I deeply admire his integrity and commitment for standing up and fighting for what he believes in. I love that he as a president of this university fought for us as students, not just the fiscal interests. I could go on forever. Basically, Dr. Gates (he will always be Dr. Gates to me) is amazing and this country is unbelieveibly lucky to have him in its service. Aggieland is a better place because of him and will miss him immensely. Go Gig 'Em Dr. Gates!! We love you! Whoop!!

P.S. I am sorry for my freak out the other day. That is my one big fear and I sort of let it get out of control momentarily. I know I will never be able to be enough for my students. I just hope that I can help them to be better people, help them to have a better life than they would have had without having met me.

No comments: