Wednesday, December 05, 2007
Wednesday, November 28, 2007
In case you didn't know, CHRISTMAS IS COMING!! I am so excited. Last night I drove up to the home of the amazing Bacaks, and behold, I saw some lovely Christmas lights!! It was a joyful occasion. A few nights ago, some of my roomies and neighbors and I went to eat and after eating, we randomly ended up at Central Park's Christmas light display. It was so beautiful. There was cold weather and Christmas lights!! (Two of my most favorite things!) I was a genius and tried to carry a cup of well iced Dr.Pepper, which lead to FREEZING fingers, but that aside, it was a wonderful outing.
I have so many Christmas-related thoughts I want to relay, so I am just going to pour out whatever comes to mind, because who knows when I will be able to post again...I mean it is finals season too you know!
Number one. Everyone should read the book One Wintry Night by Ruth Bell Graham. It is wonderful!!! If there was only book I read to my children, aside from the Bible, this would be it. I really mean that!! If you know me, you know what a big deal that is. I love books. But this one is spectacularly in a class all it's own. In the book, a lady takes in a boy lost in the woods and cares for him during a blizzard. (more snow!! great!) While caring for him, she tells him a story he has never heard before - the Christmas Story. Only this isn't your "traditional" Christmas story. This story starts before the world was formed. It is a beautiful tale of the Lord's love for and pursuit of us. It is the story of how greatly we needed a Savior, and how fully that need was met through Jesus. Go get on amazon today and buy this book!! (Except for the Bacaks b/c I want to give this to your kids for Christmas.)
Number two. My favorite Christmas tradition is something that I have learned the value of more and more over the years. Every Christmas morning, before gifts are opened, before breakfast is served, before people get dressed, everyone sits around in their pajamas, wrapped in something warm, and my Dad reads Luke 1 and 2. I love this!! It is such a beautiful reminder that this day isn't about boxes or bags, or paper or bows or how much money was spent. It is about the birth of the Savior we needed so badly. After reading Luke, we pray as a family and take time to sing a few hymns about Jesus' birth. I am so thankful that I have never had a Christmas Day where I haven't been confronted with the gospel and my need for a Savior. That there was never a day where it was all about what I got. That in taking this time to step back from the commerical ideas of Christmas,and look at what the Word says Christmas is about, the Lord speaks to my heart and I can worship him and express thanks for all the wonderful things he has done in my life.
I have run out of time, but I know I will have more Christmas related thoughts soon!! I want to know what your favorite Christmas traditions are in the meantime.
Sunday, November 11, 2007
1. Jesus died for me. Best gift ever. By far.
2. Last night's Operation Christmas Child party was AMAZING!! I loved having so many wonderful ladies over! :)
3. Thanksgiving is just around the corner. A break is in sight!! Praise the Lord.
4. I have great roomies
5. There is a wonderful family by the name of Bacak that I know!!!
6. My room is Tiffany blue. Excitement.
7. There is a Christmas tree up in my living room!
8. I am going to get to see two of my most favorite people in the whole world over the upcoming break!!
9. I got to sleep in today.
10. I am still wearing pajamas.
11. Gilmore girls are great.
12. What I like about you is really funny. And reminds me of Heather. (Double bonus - so many laughs)
13. I love red toe nails.
14. School will end someday. And I have the priviledge of going to school. So many don't get that.
15. It will be snowing in Boston soon. I will definately be dreaming about that A LOT.
Monday, October 29, 2007
Because I haven't posted, you have missed out on some fun stuff. We (Julie Faye and I) decorated/carved our pumpkins. I have pics and will post them soon. You will probably laugh. Friday, is a big day as we will be putting up the Christmas tree (so it will be up for the party, and because I really want to put it up anyway). I know you probably are saying it is a month too early (I have heard this 50 times from my neighbor.), but I disagree, and my roommates aren't complaining, so up it goes!! Yay!! I will also be posting pics of Friday's festivities ASAP.
Okay, now that the trivial stuff has been taken care of, I will get to the good stuff.
Today was Treston's Adoption!!!
This was such a beautiful thing to get to see!! I loved it. This beautiful boy ABSOLUTELY melts my heart, and I know what I was feeling was only a millionth of what Jenn and Rusty were feeling, but it was amazing. Such a good thing that God has done!! Now we have a Treston Jeremiah Bacak!! What more could you want??
Happy Fall!! I will have details about the party at HG tomorrow or I can email you directions etc if you need them!!
Monday, October 08, 2007
So LHers, I am proposing that we have girls night on Saturday the 10th of November (after Saturday church)!! Let's get together, hang out, eat some yummy food, watch some great Christmas flicks and fill and wrap our boxes!! This will be great fellowship, I promise!! Just go the week before and get your stuff and bring a box. I will try and provide enough wrapping paper and tape for everyone, but if you have extra bring it!! You can leave your wrapped
box(es) & the $7.00 per box for shipping here, and I will take them all up to LH at once.
I will post more details later, but go ahead and spread the word. Everyone is welcome. RSVP here or email me so that I can make sure we have enough stuff and room for everyone.
Saturday, October 06, 2007
Thursday, September 27, 2007
Item #3. We had a parasite party for Julie!! She finally got better after getting rid of the parasite thing she picked up in Nica. We had a GREAT party to celebrate!! See pics below.
Item #4. I changed my major. This was a huge ordeal for me. But things are good now!! I was a Pre-K through 4 education major. Now my major is Educational Human Resource Development. I love it!! I am taking business classes which are GREAT and I don't have to take calculus again, which is a huge provision from the Lord. I am horrible at calculus. I had honestly taken it FIVE times and still couldn't get the C Elem. Edu. majors are required to have. With my new major the 5 D's I had earned were more than sufficient. I wish I had known this was an option YEARS ago, because if I had, I would have started out in this major, and I would still have the 3.75 GPR I had before I starting taking calculus so many times. If anyone has questions about this I would love to answer them. Now, instead of doing what would be basically two semesters of student teaching, I will do a ONE semester internship. I can do this internship ANYWHERE. Crazy huh? So now I am praying about where I need to be next fall to do the internship. We'll see what happens!!
So that is a recap of my August. I hope I didn't overwhelm you!!
Sunday, September 23, 2007
Gross huh? In case you're not clear on what you are seeing, there is a kiddy pool with blue raspberry jello and bird seed, along with copious amounts of syrup topped with even more bird seed. Let's just say it was a mess. But this mess was a good thing!
This yuckiness created an opportunity for us to meet our next door neighbors (who so graciously helped us clean it up!!) and tell them about LH!! So great!!
And of course, now we have the opportunity to "return the favor"!!! What will we think up next??!!
Wednesday, September 19, 2007
Please go visit!! I promise you will laugh!! It was so great to read right before my test. Talk about stress relief!! I laughed so much the people around me thought I was nuts!!
Afterwards, I want to hear which one was your favorite!!
Tuesday, September 18, 2007
Sunday, September 09, 2007
1. I got out the Christmas music!!! (About 2-3 wks. earlier than normal...) On Wednesday I was craving Christmas music, so I got it out of the closet!! It was amazing. So beautiful. Bekah had a Christmas themed dance party and I sat and laughed at her and told her about some of the songs I love and why. We bonded over Christmas music. It was great fun.
2. After listening to music on Wednesday, I couldn't resist pulling out my Charlie Brown collection and watching A Charlie Brown Christmas on Thursday night. I love that Linus just lays out the Word. I love that this is one movie that is correct in saying that Christmas isn't about the lights, or the gifts (contrary to popular belief), or the food; although those things are good. It is about Jesus!! What a great thing to be reminded of, especially by sweet Linus and his blue blanket. 3. After some extremely stressful moments, I found and "broke out" the much valued, highly treasured homemade hot chocolate mix tonight. It was great. I sat there holding the steaming mug and could just picture myself sitting on a couch (my couch!!) in Boston, wrapped in a blanket and watching the snow fall outside while drinking this incredible drink. Amazing (Such a Kodak moment in my brain)...the first "hot chocolate moment" of the season. Until....
4. I swallowed a fly. Every read the children's book "There was an old lady who swallowed a fly"? That's how I felt. It was SO GROSS. I took a drink of my greatly beloved hot chocolate and felt something crunchy in my mouth. Something was wrong!! It was without a doubt the grossest thing that has ever happened to me. It was nasty, but at least my roomies got a laugh out of it. 5. I have restarted Gilmore Girls...I started with Season One, Episode One tonight while doing work stuff...So great!!
Tuesday, September 04, 2007
Tonight, I just wanted to say that I am at a cross roads right now. I have to make a decision in the near future about exactly when to move to Boston. I am praying for explicity clarity and affirmation right now. I think I know which way this is going but I want to be sure. I would appreciate your prayers in this too. Thanks so much!!
Wednesday, August 29, 2007
Happy 3rd Birthday Justus!! I love you! Whoo-Whoo-Whoo!!
Monday, August 27, 2007
The end of summer, the beginning of school and 10 reasons you wished you lived in the super cute apartment!!
1. I live with three sweet ladies
2.We have actually "argued" over who got to do the dishes....
3. EVERY night is movie night
4. You never know what craziness will happen next
5. We throw awesome parties, and everyone wants to come
6. We get to use our apartment to bless other people
7. Today, for the first time ever, I thought, "hmm, I going to be home alone for a while tonight...how weird." I was sad that one not a one of my wonderful roomies will be here.
8. We are know as the "facts of life girls" by the wonderful family named Bacak
9. We pray for each other every day
10. We write fun little notes on all the mirrors!!
Bonus: We get to have REAL community every day (this is greater than I could have imagined)
Thursday, August 16, 2007
So now I am off to hang out with my brother and probably get a bit wet...fun fun...maybe I will convince him how desperately I need to go to Sephora to get some make up...or at least to take me out for my birthday!!
Wednesday, August 01, 2007
These (above) are some "before" pics. Notice the plastic drop cloth and blue paint tape in the last picture. Unfortunately we didn't tape the ceiling. I had bought this really cool edger that was supposed to eliminate the need for tape...it didn't. I will be going back with white paint around the random mess ups on my ceiling. Then we painted!!
I must say that these pictures don't really do justice to the color of my walls. You have to see it. It is incredibly beautiful. To see the an example click here.
Seriously there was stuff EVERYWHERE. It was craziness. My well organized, order centered mind did not know how to handle the chaos that was this mess of stuff. When we got done moving things inside (and out of the rain) I realised that there was going to be no utilities that night. Which meant Jenn and Rusty so graciously housed me one more night. (Thanks so much Jenn!!) Friday I came ready to paint!! But alas, there was still no electricity or water...After some mess trying to resolve the issues, I had electricity at about 10:30 and water at about 2. So nice. I was so happy that I could go potty at my own house!! And wash my hands too of course!!
Okay, I will save the rest for now, but the next post is about PAINTING!!! (and getting stuff actually INSIDE my room...)
Tuesday, July 31, 2007
Thursday, July 19, 2007
Wednesday, July 18, 2007
My summer checklist is almost completed:
- eat homemade ice cream
- explode LOTS of fire works...I LOVE THIS!!!!
- eat a snowcone
- go swimming
- eat a homemade (by my dad) hamburger
- move at least once (or three times.... )
- take lots of summer school
- have a birthday
- sleep late
- lots of reading for pleasure
- Watch some great movies
- Have a Gilmore Girls marathon!!
Tuesday, July 10, 2007
NOTHING!!! That's right, nothing. I didn't click add to cart and then type in my card number. I didn't get all excited just thinking about what was on the way and how much I would love cuddling with my new comforter...nope. I didn't do anything because they were sold out. I was sad. I had this perfect room in mind and the rock star in my mental picture was this set. I can't tell you how crazy I have been about this. I decided the only logical thing to do was search the internet. I looked EVERYWHERE. Surely, someone else sold this same comforter. WRONG!!! No one else sold it. I decided I must settle for something not quite as great, something I didn't like as much...So I looked everywhere again. I found nothing I liked. I was about to give up after searching online at every department store, high end retail chain, every random internet site. I decided to make one last ditch effort.
I would check walmart.com....I don't like Wal-Mart, I am thoroughly a Target kind of girl. So I checked and I found this....I like this. And it is alot cheaper than the other one. I love that God had a plan here. Because of this, kids are going to get new backpacks for the fall!! I love that God is so much bigger than me and my small, selfish plans. How awesome is that!! I love that I am reminded once more that the money in the bank isn't mine. Something I need to be a bit more aware of all the time.